Utility Excavations – Category 1: Locate Utility Services
Category 1: Locate Utility Services covers the minimum training and assessment required for those working to safely detect utility services using recognised and approved detection methods. The standard has been derived from the following National Occupational Standards:
- EUSMUNC06 Locate and Avoid Services for Utilities Network Construction
- EUSEPUS044 Location and Identification of Underground Utility Services in the Electricity Power Utilities
It also incorporates the relevant requirements of HSE guidance documents:
- HSG47 Avoiding Danger from Underground Services
- HSG150 Health and Safety in Construction
Achievement of the standard demonstrates effective performance, by being able to demonstrate the following skills and knowledge:
- Interpret utility drawings and line search documents
- Use location equipment to locate underground services
- Identify the dangers and hazards associated with underground services
CITB Short Course
Energy & Utility Skills is a recognised Third Party Organisation (TPO) for CITB and the UK construction industry. This scheme is recognised by CITB for short course duration funding purposes and can be offered by ATOs. To find out more about CITB short course duration grants, click here.
Find Out More
If you would like to get trained in this scheme, please see our list of training providers. If you are a trainer and would like to deliver this scheme, please see our guidance on skill-based schemes approval.
If you have any queries relating to EUSR or the evidence requirements for any of our schemes or programmes, please contact the EUSR Support team. We are available Monday – Friday, 8.00am – 5.00pm via email email@example.com or tel: 0121 745 1310.