Become a SCO Trainer
About Safe Control of Operations (SCO) Scheme
The Safe Control of Operations (SCO) scheme ensures that individuals working on the gas network are trained to do so safely by understanding gas network procedures and correct permitry.
The SCO scheme is the knowledge-based part of a Competent Person’s or Authorising Engineer’s route to network registration and is followed by the competence-based part of the overall requirement.
The introduction of IGEM/GL/6 Edition 3 has introduced an increased emphasis on risk-based management of gas safety systems and gives gas distribution companies the flexibility to develop their own gas safety procedures based on meeting the common requirements of GL/6. The SCO scheme is based around the requirements for meeting GL/6 compliance.
The SCO scheme has been developed as a face to face training programme with an Initial part for newcomers to the industry and a Renewal part for those with existing and current SCO registrations.
Become an Approved Trainer
To deliver the Safe Control of Operations (SCO) schemes, you will need to become an approved trainer. There are three stages to becoming an approved trainer, these include:
- Submitting an application with all required evidence
- Successfully attending and completing a Trainer Approval Workshop
- Passing on-going monitoring and auditing
Criteria for Becoming a Trainer
- Relevant industry experience working on Gas Networks.
- Hold Level 2 Qualification in Gas Distribution i.e. Network Construction Operations, Gas Network Operations etc.
Benefits to Becoming a Trainer
- The redeveloped SCO scheme now offers initial and renewal training programmes for trainers to deliver.
- New approach to scheme documentation – scheme specifications (for both initial and renewal SCO), refreshed slide decks, Programme Leader Guides (PLGs) to support delivery, revised practical assessments, making the scheme easy to follow.
- More flexibility with scheme delivery; delivery by e-Classroom under development.
- Access to the IGEM Standard as part of SCO Trainer Approval.
- Dedicated support through EUSR and Product Management.
Download the SCO Brochure
To find out more about the SCO scheme, download our free brochure by clicking here.
If you are interested in finding out more about becoming an approved SCO trainer, and believe you hold the necessary experience and qualifications required, please complete the short form below. A member of the team will then be in touch to discuss your enquiry.
Find Out More
If you have any queries relating to EUSR or the evidence requirements for any of our schemes or programmes, please contact the EUSR Support team. We are available Monday – Friday, 8.00am – 5.00pm via email firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 0121 745 1310 (option 1).