Safe Working in Confined Spaces
This Endorsed Training Programme is operated by Whale Tankers. It is aimed at any individuals in industries who may access a confined space via a vertical shaft, and who may use escape breathing apparatus for self-rescue. The definition of a Confined Space is:
“Any place including tanks, chambers, pits, pipes, sewers, flues, wells or other similar place, in which by virtue of its enclosed nature there arises a reasonably foreseeable specified risk.”
This 2 day course provides knowledge of confined spaces and their inherent dangers. The course provides underpinning knowledge to plan, enter, work in and exit such areas, including via a vertical shaft, and where escape breathing apparatus is used as part of a planned means of self-rescue.
The key elements that this training covers are:
- Confined Space Regulations (1997)
- Personal protection and hygiene requirements
- Risk assessment and implementing safe systems of work
- Types of gaseous atmospheres, portable gas monitoring equipment and its use
- The use of harness/tripod/man-riding winch, fall arrest and safety line
- The use of escape breathing apparatus and self-evacuation procedures
- Safe entry, working in and exiting procedures at confined spaces
On completion of the programme individuals will be able to:
- Identify a confined space
- Assess the risk of entry into a confined space
- Follow safe systems of work (method statements)
- Test atmospheric conditions using specialist gas monitoring equipment
- Show competence and effective use of associated control measures and equipment used to maintain safety including escape breathing apparatus, safety harnesses, fall arrest systems and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Complete entry and exit from a confined space
- Explain appropriate and effective hygiene procedures
Registration on EUSR is valid for 3 years from date of training.
Find Out More
If you have a training package that you would like to be included within this registration family please view our Endorsed Training Programme approval page.
An Endorsed Training Programme is a training package that has been approved by Energy & Utility Skills as meeting its objectives. They are offered by private companies and any questions relating specifically to that training package should be directed to the appropriate provider.