Utility Excavations – Category 3: Install, Inspect & Remove Timber Support Systems
Category 3: Install, Inspect & Remove Timber Support Systems covers the minimum training and assessment required for those working to install, inspect and remove timber excavation support systems. The standard has been derived from the following National Occupational Standards:
- EUSMUNC07 Excavate and Maintain Holes and Trenches for Utility Networks Construction
- EUSGNC007 Excavate and Maintain Holes and Trenches for Complex Operations in Gas Network Construction
- COSVR370 Provide Temporary Excavation Support
It also incorporates the relevant requirements of:
- City and Guilds Level 2 Awards in Excavation Support Systems (6146-21) Nov 2012
- HSG47 Avoiding Danger from Underground Services
- HSG150 Health and Safety in Construction
- CIRIA Trenching Practice (second edition R97)
- British Standard 4978: 2007:2011 Visual Strength Grading of Softwood
Achievement of the standard demonstrates effective performance, by being able to demonstrate the following skills and knowledge:
- Comply with relevant legislation, Regulations and Company procedures when installing, inspecting or removing support systems, specifically:
- Checking that a safe system of work exists
- Ensuring a Risk Assessment has been completed at the planning stage
- Checking that if required, a Permit to Work is in place
- Checking that if required, a lift plan is in place
- Interpret design plans and work instructions and effectively communicate with colleagues on site
- Identify the dangers, hazards and risks associated with excavations and the installation or removal of support systems
CITB Short Course
Energy & Utility Skills is a recognised Third Party Organisation (TPO) for CITB and the UK construction industry. This scheme is recognised by CITB for short course duration funding purposes and can be offered by ATOs. To find out more about CITB short course duration grants, click here.
Find Out More
If you are a trainer and would like to deliver this scheme, please see our guidance in the Approval and Delivery section.
If you have any queries relating to EUSR or the evidence requirements for any of our schemes or programmes, please contact the EUSR Support team. We are available Monday – Friday, 8.00am – 5.00pm via email email@example.com or tel: 0121 745 1310.