Utility Excavations – Category 2: Implement Safe (Digging) Excavating Practices
Category 2: Implement Safe (Digging) Excavating Practices covers the minimum training and assessment required for those working to safely excavate and maintain holes and trenches using both hand tools and hand-held power tools. The standard has been derived from the following National Occupational Standards:
- EUSEPUS043 Carry out Excavation Work on Underground Cables in Electricity Power Environment
- EUSMUNC07 Excavate and Maintain Holes and Trenches for Utility Networks Construction
- EUSGNC007 Excavate and Maintain Holes and Trenches for Complex Operations in Gas Network Construction
It also incorporates the relevant requirements of HSE guidance documents:
- HSG47 Avoiding Danger from Underground Services
- HSG150 Health and Safety in Construction
Achievement of the standard demonstrates effective performance, by being able to demonstrate the following skills and knowledge:
- Interpret utility drawings and identify symbols and coded information
- Ensure all necessary location, marking and site safety provisions have been carried out correctly prior to any excavation work commencing
- Identify the dangers and hazards associated with excavations
- Select and use safe digging techniques to carry out and maintain excavations
CITB Short Course
Energy & Utility Skills is a recognised Third Party Organisation (TPO) for CITB and the UK construction industry. This scheme is recognised by CITB for short course duration funding purposes and can be offered by ATOs. To find out more about CITB short course duration grants, click here.
Find Out More
If you are a trainer and would like to deliver this scheme, please see our guidance in the Approval and Delivery section.
If you have any queries relating to EUSR or the evidence requirements for any of our schemes or programmes, please contact the EUSR Support team. We are available Monday – Friday, 8.00am – 5.00pm via email email@example.com or tel: 0121 745 1310.